RBC started as a vision in the heart of Bobby and Carrie Hill, who dreamed of a vibrant, lifegiving church that would be located in North Suffolk while impacting the region and world. In January, 2012 a small core of people began building relationships and developing leadership skills under the founding pastor’s instruction and mentorship. On Easter weekend, April 7, 2012 Riverbend Church launched public services on Saturday evenings in a rented church facility in Western Branch section of Chesapeake.
Small groups begin to meet and the church initiated outreach initiatives in the targeted area of the Highway 17 corridor of Hampton Roads. After 2 ½ years of searching for a suitable facility and location that fit the vision,
God provided 6,300 sf building to begin our adventure – we completed the build-out and enjoyed the first service on January 4, 2015 at 230 Meadow View Blvd., Suffolk.
Consistent growth has followed the change of location and service schedule resulting in a 400% increase in attendance. Community events have attracted large crowds and community engagement has provided numerous opportunities for RBC to share God’s message of love with those in need. After reaching capacity attendance soon after the relocation, a second Sunday service was added in Spring 2016 (9am and 11am). Additionally, an adjacent building was leased to allow for expanded ministry to children and youth.
To be a biblically functioning church where we build people, train leaders, and reproduce churches to change the world.
• Making Disciples
• Maturing Leaders
• Multiplying Churches
CONNECT AND GROW
- Connect with God in prayer and worship – being in vital relationship with God and others
- Connect with other believers in fellowship – living and enjoying meaningful relationships with other Christians.
- Grow spiritually by learning and applying God’s word – knowing and understanding the principles of God’s word resulting in life transformation.
SERVE AND GO
• Serving is fulfilling our responsibility to work alongside fellow believers in our church and in the community. Every believer working together is required for a local church to function as God intended.
• "Go" involves communicating the love of God and the good news of Jesus Christ with others in our community and the world. Going is the responsibility of every believer – the Holy Spirit confirms the truth of the gospel with signs, wonders and deep conviction.
OUR CORE VALUES
- Authentic community – transformation happens best in community where intentional relationships are nurtured.
- Developing leaders intentionally and strategically
- Expect the unexpected
- Radical openness to the activity of the Holy Spirit
- Creativity and Innovation – thinking and acting outside the box
- Missional living – showing Jesus in Word and action